Mistaken identity sometimes gets the good-guy caught
instead of the bad. Well, at least in the movies, and we just
watched a movie about that last night.
But then today...
- Drove 1/2 hour south of the city with 3 of my kids
to pick up a my daughter's friend
- On the highway home, just a couple of minutes from our house
I suddenly hear zillions of sirens
- The sight in my rearview mirror makes me JUMP!
- There's about 5 police cars behind & almost beside me!
- Lights flashing! Sirens blasting!
- Where in the world did they just come from!
- Have I been in their way? Was I daydreaming?
- I've gotta get out of their way, QUICKLY
- I pull over.
- So do they.
- All of them. Marked cars. Unmarked Cars. Pull over.
- Wait? WHAT?
- I wasn't even speeding.
- Officers. Uniformed & in street clothes w/badges hanging around
- I roll down my window and stick my head out to hear what he's yelling
- "Roll down ALL your windows!"
- I do.
- An officer cautiously but quickly approaches my window
- His gun is drawn!
- He looks inside. At me. At the kids, who are as clueless as I am.
- Officers on 3 sides of the car. Guns drawn!
- WHAT in the WORLD?
- The officer at my window yells over his shoulder
that we're "not the ones"
- (I know! I know! We're not!)
- At another window an officer asks where I've been & had I been downtown.
- No! I tell him where we were & what highways we'd used.
- He tells me there's a car exactly like mine that is going around downtown
today bashing (or stealing) cars.
- They tell me I can go
- In a second they're in their cars, leaving
- Just like that....
- My heart was pounding.
- I wish I'd told them I appreciate what they do.
- I wish I'd told them that I'm grateful for their protection.
- I did, however, use this incident to explain to my little boys that we don't have
to be afraid of the policemen because they were working at catching the
"bad guys" and as soon as they saw who we were, they went on.
- Now, this afternoon, I keep on praying for those officers, and for
Grateful to live in the Protection of JESUS!
Grateful that He's called me to live in Detroit!