Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Netta's Niche- Chicken Gumbo


  • Netta Niche'- Chicken Gumbo

    Several years ago my wonderful friend, Denise, gave me
    a MOST needed gift... a huge crock pot with a
    "Fix it and Forget it" cookbook.
    (It's her b-day today... I'm so grateful
    for you, Denise! Happy Birthday!)
    It's a gift ALL ladies,
    moms,
    people-in-ministry,
    single guys,
    well, basically everyone should have!

    All those years ago I started making a dish from that
    cook book... but as time went on I changed it, adapted it
    and have "perfected" it for OUR family.
    It's quick,
    it's easy,
    it's not expensive,
    it's good for you!

    CHICKEN GUMBO (Chilton Style)
    1 onion chopped
    1-2 Tbl minced garlic
    1 lb. pkg frozen sliced okra
    2 cans diced tomates
    2 cans water
    3 or 4 chicken bullion cubes
    5-6 boneless, skinless chicken tenders
    2 or more Tbl of cajun seasoning

    Crock Pot instructions: put everything
    in the slow cooker & cook on low for
    approx. 6 hrs.
    Serve over cooked rice.

    Stove Top instructions:
    In a stock pot cook thawed chicken, onion
    and garlic on high for several minutes.
    Add all other ingredients and cook on low
    for approx. 2 hrs.
    Serve over cooked rice.

    Thanks, Denise, for the gift of SLOW COOKING!
    Love you and miss you, My Friend!



    Currently Reading
    Fix-it And Forget-it Recipes For Entertaining
    By Phyllis Pellman Good



6 comments:

Unknown said...

Oooo..this sounds good! I'll try a "Gancer" version sometime!

Coach said...

I really miss your cooking, that pasta was fantastic!! Thank you for the invite I really enjoyed seeing you guys. And thanks for the gumbo recipe I can't wait to try it! The crock pot has got to be one of the greatest inventions ever made!

Margie said...

cool! i like that cookbook, I'll have to try your niche! we loved the peanut butter oatmeal panacakes!

Mary Beth said...

can i come over for dinner???? LOL

Anonymous said...

Sounds good.

Anonymous said...

Being from the Northeast, I have never had okra frozen or thawed! What would compare to okra if I wanted to make an Everette version? I love the crockpot.